Boot season is officially here! Let’s go over some tips and tricks on how to make your favorite footwear last through the season! Whether it be rain, sleet, or snow these tips should keep your boots looking brand new!
1. Protect your boots with a silicone base water repellent. I love the Kiwi Heavy Duty Water Repellent. The silicone formula provides a tough barrier and will not change the color or texture of the fabric. The water will just run off your boots/shoes and will increase the life of them exponentially! It may smell a bit, but I just let mine air out for a day after spraying, and by that time the smell is gone.
2. Moisturize/Condition your leather. After researching this for quite some time the same brand kept coming up, Leather Honey Leather Conditioner. It has been around since 1968 and has amazing reviews. I am definitely going to try this brand out! Whatever brand you end up choosing will preserve the shine and make the leather last longer!
3. You will need a Suede Brush and Suede Eraser for those Suede boots! They are a must have! The eraser will get rid of the shiny spots on the suede and the brush will be used to brush off the dustings and rebuff the suede. Here is one I found on Amazon with great reviews!
4. Caring for your boots can be done with everyday at home products which makes it very easy. For Salt Stains, you can use equal parts water and white vinegar. Just wipe softly with a soft cloth. For Cleaning, you can use a mild dish soap and water. For Scuffs, I use equal parts baking soda and Water.
5. If your Hunter Rain Boots are “blooming” just use some olive oil and a microfiber cloth. If you just want to clean them, using cold water and mild soap works great! For more on what to expect when buying Hunter’s click here!
6. Get a Boot Shaper! This will help uphold the shape of the boots, year after year! These Booti Boot Shapers are the best in my opinion, and so affordable! For a cheap trick, use pool noodles. They work really well!
7. Where you store your boots is very important. Making sure you keep them at room temperature and away from direct sunlight will extend the life of your boots. I generally keep all of my shoe boxes and store them there when not wearing.
FUN TIP – If your leather laces always come undone, keep them tied by sprinkling a few drops of water on the knot.
I thought this was a great graphic that King Ranch Saddle Shop created! King Ranch specializes in fine leather goods, including their leather cowboy boots for men and cowgirl boots for ladies! Print it out as a reminder for how to easily care for your boots!